User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
  1. #16
    Vintage Lover lilstrlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this weird awkward thing when it comes to people and asking how much your things cost, etc. I honestly feel like it's not their business, because they're just going to say something about it, either to make you feel bad, or unintentionally make you feel uncomfortable.

    I think I care too much about what other people think in a sense that I don't want them to think that I think I'm better than them in any way, because I never feel like that. Plus, I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable around me if they don't have money to buy things like I have.
    Mrs. Lawson
    7-16-11

  2. #17
    *The TBF Elite* Maeveyblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Perpetual Bliss...
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    Honestly, I couldn't even imagine asking someone a question like that. It's so tacky. If I want to know how much something costs, I google it. I would never ask. It always amazes me the audacity some people have to ask how much something costs and then to coment on it when you tell them. This is why I say I don't know or I don't remember. It's just easier that way.
    Thinking of...
    Chanel Black Jumbo
    LV Artsy MM
    Holy Grail: Chanel 06 Bleu Fonce Jumbo


    In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
    ~Einstein~

  3. #18
    Vintage Lover lilstrlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    I do that too. I'll lie and say, "oh my boyfriend bought it for me," or "my parents bought it for me" just so its not so awkward. I mean, there have been times when ive said that and its been true, but I use that line sometimes when I feel an awkward situation coming on.

    However, if I'm around someone who is like me, would spend money on things like I would, then I would tell them because they're usally asking because they like it and want it themselves, and in that case I dont mind.
    Mrs. Lawson
    7-16-11

  4. #19
    Moderator/Blogger VivaLaJuicy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    11,814
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeveyblue View Post
    Honestly, I couldn't even imagine asking someone a question like that. It's so tacky. If I want to know how much something costs, I google it. I would never ask. It always amazes me the audacity some people have to ask how much something costs and then to coment on it when you tell them. This is why I say I don't know or I don't remember. It's just easier that way.
    Yeah... I couldn't ask somebody a question like that either... unless its one of you tBF'ers.

  5. #20
    *The TBF Elite* Maeveyblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Perpetual Bliss...
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    Quote Originally Posted by VivaLaJuicy View Post
    Yeah... I couldn't ask somebody a question like that either... unless its one of you tBF'ers.
    Well that goes without saying... I want price and the website that I can buy it from...
    Thinking of...
    Chanel Black Jumbo
    LV Artsy MM
    Holy Grail: Chanel 06 Bleu Fonce Jumbo


    In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
    ~Einstein~

  6. #21
    Vintage Lover lilstrlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    Haha it's true!
    Mrs. Lawson
    7-16-11

  7. #22
    Rising Bag Star chicken956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Library
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    Ugh, my MIL and SIL are like that. They make "shocked" faces when we (DH and I) have ANYTHING new/nice but I really don't care anymore. I just tell them that my DH gave me whatever they ask about. It's none of their business how much I pay for MY stuff. But everyone else seems cool about it.

  8. #23
    Totally Purse Obsessed Arianne12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,233
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    My friends don't ask me about my acquisitions. They know the bags are pricey but they also know it's not polite to ask. My family and inlaws have never asked either. If an acquaintance were to say "wow, is that a so and so??". I'll say yes and I got it on a discount even if I didn't. My DH's colleague asked me once if my bag was "real". I told him "yes, I don't like to carry fakes" and then I realised that his wife was carrying a fake Coach. Oops!

  9. #24
    Official Bagista gizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cool Re: What do you do when...

    IMHO, most people out there are just trying to get by . It may not seem so to those who are doing OK because they're probably not around people who are struggling. They're struggling to pay for food, gas, power bills, car tires, diapers, medical bills.... Of course they can't understand why/how someone would spend so much money on a purse, a pair of jeans, a wallet . I think that's totally normal and that there's nothing mean about it. Plus, I think most people here would feel the same way if they were in their situation. If you feel good about how you live your life and how you wish to spend your money, if you don't feel guilty about it, then why lie about it, as though you were doing something wrong? (except family, because they can be such a pain!). And if you feel bad about it (like juicyholicmum says she does about her friend), and you have more than enough money to get by, why not help the friend a little bit? (a gift, maybe? new clothes for the baby or something). I guess it's a matter of different perspectives.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #25
    Vintage Lover lilstrlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    Quote Originally Posted by Arianne12 View Post
    My DH's colleague asked me once if my bag was "real". I told him "yes, I don't like to carry fakes" and then I realised that his wife was carrying a fake Coach. Oops!
    OMG this has happened to me before! When I'm out I'll see girls with fake bags, and I'll make a comment like "Look at that girl's bag it's a total fake," and I won't even realize that someone else around me may be wearing one. Like a friend of a friend, or something like that.
    Mrs. Lawson
    7-16-11

  11. #26
    Vintage Lover lilstrlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    If you feel good about how you live your life and how you wish to spend your money, if you don't feel guilty about it, then why lie about it, as though you were doing something wrong? (except family, because they can be such a pain!). And if you feel bad about it (like juicyholicmum says she does about her friend), and you have more than enough money to get by, why not help the friend a little bit? (a gift, maybe? new clothes for the baby or something). I guess it's a matter of different perspectives.
    I dunno, I have to disagree. I lie to so that I don't make someone feel uncomfortable. If they can't afford to spend $600 on a purse, I don't want to throw it in their face. I wouldn't say, "Oh it was $600" like it was no big deal, when they would never have the means to do the same.

    Also, just because we have expensive accessories doesn't mean that we have money to just hand out to people. Most of us use the extra money we have to buy the expensive accessory in the first place. But I see where you're coming from.
    Mrs. Lawson
    7-16-11

  12. #27
    Official Bagista gizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    Yeah, I see where you're coming from, too. It can be a touchy situation. You know your friends best--whom you could tell without them feeling uncomfortable, and whom it's better not to tell. Everyone is different, right? I guess we just have to follow our intuition in these cases. It's nice that you're thinking about they're feelings; it shows you're a sensitive person who doesn't want to hurt anyone. Plus you don't want to be misunderstood--I totally get that; I feel the same way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  13. #28
    Vintage Lover lilstrlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    I mean, when I see people walking around the mall, and they look at me with my expensive bag, that doesn't bother me. Or like if someone is looking at something of mine from far away, and I can tell they're thinking about that thing, then I don't care. But when someone asks me about it I get uncomfortable. I just don't like being judged.

    It's true, we do need to follow our intuition. You put it right on the money!
    Mrs. Lawson
    7-16-11

  14. #29
    Totally Purse Obsessed Arianne12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,233
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What do you do when...

    Quote Originally Posted by lilstrlett View Post
    I dunno, I have to disagree. I lie to so that I don't make someone feel uncomfortable. If they can't afford to spend $600 on a purse, I don't want to throw it in their face. I wouldn't say, "Oh it was $600" like it was no big deal, when they would never have the means to do the same.

    Also, just because we have expensive accessories doesn't mean that we have money to just hand out to people. Most of us use the extra money we have to buy the expensive accessory in the first place. But I see where you're coming from.
    ^^ITA. I usually say I got it on discount and I saved for it so not to throw it in their faces. I'd like to think that I do my bit for those less fortunate like giving away used clothes, shoes handbags to charity. Plus I support three charities on an ongoing basis. So maybe I'm allowed little indulgences now and then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •