User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: FINALLY!

  1. #1
    Vintage Lover lilstrlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default FINALLY!

    So I've been looking for a job for like 6 months. I graduated college with a BA in English and there is NOTHING out there. So after searching for jobs that could get me experience, applying to them, and getting no responses, I've lowered my search to retail and sales jobs. I need money now so at this point I'll just take whatever job. I applied to sell cars at Volvo because I thought it would be fun, and I kind of just applied to apply, but they called me back that night, haha. Then I applied to work full-time at Nordstrom and I called them today and I have an interview tomorrow. The marketing, administrative, customer service, etc. jobs I applied to (which have been quite a few), haven't gotten back to me, so I figured, "Hey, I'm only going to be in Richmond for 5 more months, I might as well just get a job for now and still look for a real one."

    This wasn't exactly my plan and I would really love to have a "real" job in a field that corresponds to my major, but at this point, I'm going to take whatever I can because it's money. Plus, if I get a job at Nordstrom I get a great discount on all the merchandise

    So I don't have a job yet but an interview is the next step, and I haven't had one of those yet, so I'm still excited.
    Mrs. Lawson
    7-16-11

  2. #2
    ♥ Moderator ♥ Zombiegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    RM Obsessed!
    Posts
    19,106
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    yay!! Congratulations!
    Good luck on your interview at Nordies!!
    W I S H ♥ L I S T
    Loving my collection!

  3. #3
    Official Bagista
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    I clepped out of most my literature courses and took AP english in HS and got out of all my college english requirement so I don't know much about this type of degree as I have not set foot in an English or literature course since HS...unless you count Business writing and Business communications courses...(I got a Bachelor's of Science, which involves more math/statistics courses than fine arts/english courses)...and I am just curious so don't take this the wrong way or anything..but what can you do with a BA in English? Do you have a teacher's license?

    Just something to think about, I am not sure how Virginia is, but around where I live you can apply for an emergency teachers license if you have a bachelors degree at minimum and complete a small program that is relatively inexpensive when you consider the cost of an Education degree...and then you can teach high or middle school english. You have to teach in what they call "red zone" schools that have a teachers shortage...but those are easy to find...

    Teaching isn't glamorous, and the pay isn't that great...but you only work 9-10 months per year and have ever Christmas and Easter off. It would be better than selling cars or clothes...and if you like sales, you could always work part time during the school year and full time in the summer to score discounts and extra $$...just a thought if you can't find the "perfect" job for your field...

  4. #4
    Vintage Lover lilstrlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    English degrees just aren't about writing. You can get any job in a communications, advertising, marketing, journalism, or business field. There just aren't that many opportunities right now in Richmond for me because I don't have any "experience," so the jobs that I've wanted to apply for aren't accessible to me. I thought about teaching (and I know this sounds tupid since I don't have a real job), but I just don't want to get paid $30,000 a year for the rest of my life. I need more of a challenge and room to move up. I think teaching is a great career and I admire those who do it, but I just don't think it's for me. Plus, I'm not going to be in VA for much longer so I didn't want to leave in the middle of a school year. If I get this job at Nordstrom it's just temporary anyway. It's not going to be my career, just a job I would work at full time until I find something that I could do, or until I move and find something there.
    Mrs. Lawson
    7-16-11

  5. #5
    Moderator and Blogger boysRsmelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    17,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    Yeah, not having any experience can be tough. Have you tried contacting your school? Many colleges have companies that come to them looking to hire graduates.

  6. #6
    Vintage Lover lilstrlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    I never even thought of that. We have access to our career center up to a year after we graduate, so I should go check it out.

    P.S. The interview was stupid. It was more like a pre-interview. I still have to have another one in the department they would want to put me in.
    Mrs. Lawson
    7-16-11

  7. #7
    Official Bagista
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    have you tried the banks? I worked as a teller while in school and towards the end there had healthcare benefits and paid time off ...

  8. #8
    Vintage Lover lilstrlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    Actually I was thinking about that - they're hiring at a bank that I go to.

    Oh I forgot to tell everyone what happened. So I got a letter in the mail saying that they didn't have any positions currently available. I got the letter on Friday and I went in for the interview on Wednesday. Jerks. It's such bull because they re-listed their ad on Yahoo HotJobs for the 3rd time the other day... Just because I'm overqualified for a job doesn't mean I don't want it.
    Mrs. Lawson
    7-16-11

  9. #9
    Official Bagista
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    It was a sweet deal for me... Set hours, sundays off... Too bad I had to work also at dillards to make ends meet...

  10. #10
    The Asian Sensation
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newport Coast, Ca.
    Posts
    1,942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    The economy Sucks!! Just getting to work is a blessing these days. But, chances are its going to be like this for at least a few more years unfortunately...I hope Im wrong though.


    Oh...Sorry my whining has nothing to do with this post.....I just needed to vent. lol Good luck with finding a job though!! =)

  11. #11
    I am now LVholicmum juicyholicmum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Land down under
    Posts
    3,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    Quote Originally Posted by lilstrlett View Post
    Actually I was thinking about that - they're hiring at a bank that I go to.

    Oh I forgot to tell everyone what happened. So I got a letter in the mail saying that they didn't have any positions currently available. I got the letter on Friday and I went in for the interview on Wednesday. Jerks. It's such bull because they re-listed their ad on Yahoo HotJobs for the 3rd time the other day... Just because I'm overqualified for a job doesn't mean I don't want it.
    That's sad to hear I hate it when employers do that... say they don't have openings and then relists the job ad... anyway, I for one, worked as a swimming instructor for 5 months aftr giving birth to my first child... my in-laws didn't like that very much cos I am a Registered Nurse from my home country, and think I can do better than a swimming instructor... but I loved the job, I got to work only 2 hours a day on the weekends and I get to interact with all sorts of people.

    Then I had to stop cos I got preggo again. lol.

  12. #12
    Official Bagista
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    Quote Originally Posted by THE-GUY View Post
    The economy Sucks!! Just getting to work is a blessing these days. But, chances are its going to be like this for at least a few more years unfortunately...I hope Im wrong though.


    Oh...Sorry my whining has nothing to do with this post.....I just needed to vent. lol Good luck with finding a job though!! =)
    If you can't find a job, you can just move to Memphis. They have a hard time getting people to work here...seriously. It's such a poor and crime-laden city. That is why I work here...I got paid 2 times as much as I was making in a nicer area.

  13. #13
    Rising Bag Star loveguinness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    Quote Originally Posted by lilstrlett View Post
    English degrees just aren't about writing. You can get any job in a communications, advertising, marketing, journalism, or business field. There just aren't that many opportunities right now in Richmond for me because I don't have any "experience," so the jobs that I've wanted to apply for aren't accessible to me. I thought about teaching (and I know this sounds tupid since I don't have a real job), but I just don't want to get paid $30,000 a year for the rest of my life. I need more of a challenge and room to move up. I think teaching is a great career and I admire those who do it, but I just don't think it's for me. Plus, I'm not going to be in VA for much longer so I didn't want to leave in the middle of a school year. If I get this job at Nordstrom it's just temporary anyway. It's not going to be my career, just a job I would work at full time until I find something that I could do, or until I move and find something there.
    my family is full of educators. this statement is untrue, within school districts you will be paid an annual cost of living advancement.

    lets put it this way, my mom is making over 90,000/year AS A TEACHER! she has only been with the district for 13 years, and every year it goes up. granted you start at about 35-40k/year, you move up fast.

    and if you go back and get your masters degree, you have more opportunity for administrative positions that make more.

  14. #14
    ♥ Moderator ♥ Zombiegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    RM Obsessed!
    Posts
    19,106
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    ^^ Well where does your mom live?? I should tell some of my friends who are teachers. They have their Masters and complain all the time because they still don't make much.
    W I S H ♥ L I S T
    Loving my collection!

  15. #15
    Rising Bag Star loveguinness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: FINALLY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
    ^^ Well where does your mom live?? I should tell some of my friends who are teachers. They have their Masters and complain all the time because they still don't make much.
    California. I know its the same in most states, they just have to work in a public school district with a good union. Some states have less requirements to become a teacher but in time still offer a decent pay. California has some strict testing guidelines, but places like WA are a bit more laid back

    They key is that it takes time to make the good money. Being with a district for like 5 years is still going to give you good pay but once you are there 10+ the pay is awesome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •