User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Bag Fan Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    So this came as a shock to me , I was in Las Vegas last week and went into a couple of Chanel boutiques. I really wanted to find out if a bag my friend had was indeed authentic , so i asked a sales associate .... I found out that Chanel does NOT authenticate any of their products !!! whats with that? I was told by 3 SA's at 3 different locations , one gave an excuse that if they authenticate it and its not real that they can get in trouble if the person lets say says that that SA told them it was real and sells is on ebay or something , another gave me this quote " We just dont authenticate ..... if you think why....you would ....just know " This makes no sence !!! i would now rather buy a FAKE chanel bag over a 2,000$ real one because its worthless because NO ONE (unless your a chanel expert OR ACTUALLY WORK FOR CHANEL) will know if its real or fake !! this is very strange and is a complete turn off for me . how do you guys feel about this?

  2. #2
    *Moderator* vuittongirlxoxo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in front of my computer
    Posts
    8,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    If you want a real Chanel bag, why not just buy from an authentic Chanel retailer, such as their boutiques, high end department stores or Bluefly, etc. I would never buy a FAKE Chanel just because a SA won't authenticate it.

    wishlist..
    .sofia coppola monogram
    .vernis alma mm in pomme d'amour
    .artsy mm
    .python galliera pm
    .monogram galliera pm

  3. #3
    Official Bagista
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    Quote Originally Posted by vuittongirlxoxo View Post
    If you want a real Chanel bag, why not just buy from an authentic Chanel retailer, such as their boutiques, high end department stores or Bluefly, etc. I would never buy a FAKE Chanel just because a SA won't authenticate it.
    ITA!

  4. #4
    Jacqueline coach-princess348's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    4,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Follow coach-princess348 On Twitter
    Visit coach-princess348's Youtube Channel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    Quote Originally Posted by vuittongirlxoxo View Post
    If you want a real Chanel bag, why not just buy from an authentic Chanel retailer, such as their boutiques, high end department stores or Bluefly, etc. I would never buy a FAKE Chanel just because a SA won't authenticate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KANMP View Post
    ITA!
    I feel the same way.

  5. #5
    ♥'s RM Jess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    Well said, Cassandra!

  6. #6
    Bag Fan Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    I guess i just don't understand why they would NOT authenticate it , doesn't it seem unreasonable?

  7. #7
    *The TBF Elite* Maeveyblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Perpetual Bliss...
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    Quote Originally Posted by Brianterra718 View Post
    So this came as a shock to me , I was in Las Vegas last week and went into a couple of Chanel boutiques. I really wanted to find out if a bag my friend had was indeed authentic , so i asked a sales associate .... I found out that Chanel does NOT authenticate any of their products !!! whats with that? I was told by 3 SA's at 3 different locations , one gave an excuse that if they authenticate it and its not real that they can get in trouble if the person lets say says that that SA told them it was real and sells is on ebay or something , another gave me this quote " We just dont authenticate ..... if you think why....you would ....just know " This makes no sence !!! i would now rather buy a FAKE chanel bag over a 2,000$ real one because its worthless because NO ONE (unless your a chanel expert OR ACTUALLY WORK FOR CHANEL) will know if its real or fake !! this is very strange and is a complete turn off for me . how do you guys feel about this?

    Huh.
    So because some SA at a store won't authenticate a bag, which 1) isn't their job to begin with and 2) they could be held responsible for making the wrong choice, you justify that as a go ahead to buy fakes? Could you imagine some poor girl saying that the bag is a fake, when in fact it's just a vintage bag that lost the inside tag? Or how about a fake that is such a good fake that she says it is authentic and then gets fired for making the wrong call.
    Sounds like you need a conversation with your conscience, not a bag forum.
    Thinking of...
    Chanel Black Jumbo
    LV Artsy MM
    Holy Grail: Chanel 06 Bleu Fonce Jumbo


    In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
    ~Einstein~

  8. #8
    Official Bagista
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeveyblue View Post
    Huh.
    So because some SA at a store won't authenticate a bag, which 1) isn't their job to begin with and 2) they could be held responsible for making the wrong choice, you justify that as a go ahead to buy fakes? Could you imagine some poor girl saying that the bag is a fake, when in fact it's just a vintage bag that lost the inside tag? Or how about a fake that is such a good fake that she says it is authentic and then gets fired for making the wrong call.
    Sounds like you need a conversation with your conscience, not a bag forum.

  9. #9
    Bag Fan Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeveyblue View Post
    Huh.
    So because some SA at a store won't authenticate a bag, which 1) isn't their job to begin with and 2) they could be held responsible for making the wrong choice, you justify that as a go ahead to buy fakes? Could you imagine some poor girl saying that the bag is a fake, when in fact it's just a vintage bag that lost the inside tag? Or how about a fake that is such a good fake that she says it is authentic and then gets fired for making the wrong call.
    Sounds like you need a conversation with your conscience, not a bag forum.
    How is it not their job to authenticate? They would clearly know if one is indeed a real or a fake . If anything if there not sure (like you said about vintage) a second opinion could be in favor . Louis Vuitton , and Gucci i know BOTH authenticate , I just found it weird that Chanel does not .

  10. #10
    ♥ Moderator ♥ Zombiegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    RM Obsessed!
    Posts
    19,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    I agree. I think it is weird that Chanel SA's wouldn't know if a Chanel bag is real or fake. Are all Chanel boutique's the same? Apparently that SA needs to be Chanel educated, they should know if a bag is real or not!! LV doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

    Let me add that LV doesn't give any type of documentation but they can tell if a LV is real or fake! Chanel should be able to do the same.
    W I S H ♥ L I S T
    Loving my collection!

  11. #11
    ♥'s RM Jess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    Also, maybe Chanel just wants its customers to come to their store instead of buying on eBay or elsewhere. That way, they know that if you do want an authentic bag & you aren't educated in that area...you're stuck with buying it from them?

  12. #12
    Totally Purse Obsessed Arianne12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,233
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    I think it's because a lot of the SA's who work at these boutiques don't have a lot of knowledge of the product that they're selling. So they don't want to be held responsible for authenticating a bag in case it's fake. We are passionate about handbags and we research the ins and outs of a handbag and we expect these SA's to feel and do the same. But to them it's just a job. I have had to correct SA's about the styles and colours of LVs or Balenciagas that they're selling as they had no clue.

  13. #13
    *The TBF Elite* Maeveyblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Perpetual Bliss...
    Posts
    3,512
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    Quote Originally Posted by Brianterra718 View Post
    How is it not their job to authenticate? They would clearly know if one is indeed a real or a fake . If anything if there not sure (like you said about vintage) a second opinion could be in favor . Louis Vuitton , and Gucci i know BOTH authenticate , I just found it weird that Chanel does not .
    It's not their job. They are there to sell you a new bag and to give you the pros and cons of purchasing said bag. Look at the legality of it. You walk in to a Chanel store with an authentic vintage bag. They look at it and because the labeling is gone and the zipper has been replaced or the bag re-dyed, they say it is a fake or that they can't be 100% sure. Your aunt then comes up with the receipt showing it's authentic, but in the meantime you have thrown the bag away or donated it. Who are you going to be mad at?
    That is fine if LV wants to authenticate bags, but I personally wouldn't touch authenticating with a 10 foot pole. Too much room for error and too many lawsuit happy people out there.
    Thinking of...
    Chanel Black Jumbo
    LV Artsy MM
    Holy Grail: Chanel 06 Bleu Fonce Jumbo


    In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
    ~Einstein~

  14. #14
    <3 Chanel & Hermes refusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    Chanel SAs do not authenticate items. Because some or most of them do not have the sufficient years of experience to determine the authencity of chanel vintage bags. Say, vintage chanel flaps are 10 to 20 years ago, most of them probably work like only a few months or up to 4 years?

    Moreover, I personally feel that if you tell them you wanna authenticate the bag, it gives them the hinge that you bought the bag either through online or from a reseller, which sorta gives them a impression that this bag is a fake (although this may not be true).

    A good way to tell whether you bags bought from resellers or online are authentic, is to just walk into the store, and only request for refurbishment or repairment. When you bags are refurbished and repaired, it means your bag is authentic 100%.
    Last edited by refusion; January 20th, 2009 at 09:49 PM.

  15. #15
    Official Bagista
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: I find something upsetting about Chanel....

    Quote Originally Posted by refusion View Post
    Chanel SAs do not authenticate items. Because some or most of them do not have the sufficient years of experience to determine the authencity of chanel vintage bags. Say, vintage chanel flaps are 10 to 20 years ago, most of them probably work like only a few months up to 4 years?

    Moreover, I personally feel that if you tell them you wanna authenticate the bag, it gives them the hinge that you bought the bag either through online or from a reseller, which sorta gives them a impression that this bag is a fake (although this may not be true).

    A good way to tell whether you bags bought from resellers or online are authentic, is to just walk into the store, and only request for refurbishment or repairment. When you bags are refurbished and repaired, it means your bag is authentic 100%.

    That is a good idea. I suppose if it is a fake someone along the line during the refurbish process would know it was a fake!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •